Monday, September 5, 2011

The Summer I Became A Nerd

While September 21st is the official end of Summer, for many people Labor Day marks the end of the season. Personally I'm a reflective dude, I like to look back at a time or season and get an overall theme of that time. So on this Labor Day I'm marking the end of the Summer Season by reflecting on the Summer I Officially became a Nerd. 

Sure before this Summer I'd seen the Star Wars movies once or twice, but who hasn't? Yeah, I've always been a pretty hardcore Star Trek nerd, but with the most recent movie becoming a mainstream sensation liking Star Trek isn't really that big of a deal. This Summer Season however, I've done a few things that not only have I never done before, but never thought I would do, for starters, I think I saw every Comic Book movie that came out. That's not too big of a deal seeing as how I'd seen comic book movies in the past, mainly a couple X-Men movies and the Iron Man movies, this Summer I made it a point to see them all, Thor and Captain America I saw at the midnight release, I even saw Thor twice I liked it so much. 

Before this Summer not only had I never seen a Harry Potter movie, I had never planned on seeing one, this summer I actually watched them all on DVD, and eventually went to the theater to see the last movie.

All of that is pretty incriminating but not to much of a concern, literally millions of people enjoy Harry Potter and comic book movies, so it's not that far out of the norm, but it gets worse.

I made my first two trips to a comic book shop of my adult life this Summer, the first time I felt out of place, the scary thing for me though was when I went back the second time I oddly felt like I knew a little more about the different comic books there. I still don't completely understand the game a guy and a girl where playing, dice where involved but outside of that I had no clue what they were doing.

Speaking of comics I actually learned how to read a comic book during my nerd-tastic summer, I always had a general idea, but wasn't sure what meant a thought or when they were talking, now I do, and not only do I know how to read a comic, I'm actually reading two trades and one comic right now, I'm reading an Avengers trade and a X-Men trade, the X-Men trade was written by Joss Whedon, who I now know will write and direct the Avengers movie coming out next Summer, which I am all of a sudden extremely excited for, the comic book I'm reading is called 41 written by Dork Trek member Bob Frantz, you can read more about the Dork Trek podcast by clicking here

I've also updated my wardrobe to fit my new nerdish leanings, no I haven't gone out and bought pocket protectors and glasses with tape on them, but I did buy a Captain America shirt and hat as well as an Avengers shirt. I now have an opinion about who is better between Marvel and DC and can speak somewhat eloquently about why I like Marvel better.

What I've learned this Summer is that being a nerd doesn't have to mean you look like Comic Book Guy or Milhouse from The Simpsons, I think me and my group of friends prove that you can make being a nerd sexy, sometimes being the exception that proves the rule is a lot of fun. 

My final point for this being the Summer I Became a Nerd is simple, I started blogging, I mean C'Mon, nothing says ragging Nerd like blogging, and bloggin often. It's one thing to have opinions on movies, music and sports, but you share them with your friends, it's my new nerdish leanings that make me feel compelled to share the way I feel with the rest of the world, and after a Summer loaded with comics, Harry Potter, Star Trek, and blogging, all while being extremely good looking and ever so humble, I can safely say it was a Summer well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment